Ultimate Carrot Cake
This carrot is moist and delicious and packed with flavour - it really is the ultimate carrot cake!
- 275g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spiced
- 1/2 ground ginger
- 275g soft brown sugar
- Zest of half an orange
- 75g chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- 75g raisins
- 300g grated carrot
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 185ml sunflower oil
- 100g butter (room temperature)
- 200g full fat cream cheese
- 650g icing sugar
- 50g white fondant or modelling paste
- 30g chopped pistachios
- Orange food colouring
- Edible flowers
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 C (fan) and grease and line two 8inch cake tins.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, mixed spice and ginger.
- Add the sugar, orange zest, walnuts, raisins and grated carrot and mix thoroughly.
- Add the beaten eggs and oil and mix until fully combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two cake tins and bake for 30 minutes.
- Once removed from the oven, leave them to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before removing and leaving them to cool fully on a wire rack.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together and slowly add the icing sugar, whisking until smooth. If the icing is still too runny, add a little more icing sugar. It should be thick enough to pipe and hold it's shape.
- Add a small amount of orange food colouring to the fondant and knead until evenly coloured, adding more if necessary to get the desired colour.
- Take a small pinch of fondant and model it into the shape of a carrot.
- Use a knife to carefully add texture to the carrot and use a chopped pistachio for the carrot tops.
- Level the cakes with a sharp serrated knife and sandwich the cakes with a layer of icing.
- Crumb coat the cake with a thin layer of icing, scraping off any excess and then place the cake in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to firm up. This makes decorating the cake so much easier!
- Transfer the remaining icing into a piping bag fitted with a round nozzle.
- Carefully pipe 3 vertical blobs, and using a palette knife, spread the icing out in one direction from the middle of the blobs. Pipe another 3 vertical blobs on top of this spread out icing, and continue the whole way around the cake.
- Repeat this technique on top of the cake in a concentric patter starting from the outside, working towards the middle.
- Decorate with chopped pistachios, your fondant carrots and some edible flowers (or however you like!)
Head to my Instagram Highlights @alice.fevronia for a video on how to make and decorate this cake. Please tag me if you give it a go as I would love to see!
This recipe is part of a paid partnership with Bart Ingredients.