Popcorn and Chocolate Cookies
Crunchy on the edges, chewy in the middle - these cookies are the one!
Makes approximately 15 cookies
- 200g unsalted butter
- 300g soft brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or essence
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g chocolate chips
- 35g sweet popcorn
- Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until paler and fluffy. This can take a few minutes so have patience with it.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and bicarbonate of soda and mix until just incorporated - you may still see streaks of flour.
- Mix in the chocolate chips, again don't over mix, just until they are evenly distributed.
- Add the popcorn and carefully mix it in with a spatula and then use your hands to distribute the popcorn around the dough - using the mixer would break the popcorn into small pieces, so try to keep them as in tact as possible.
- Using your hands, separate the cookie dough into balls around 65g in weight. You don't have to weigh them but it makes your cookies a lot more even if you do!
- Roll them into balls and place onto a lined baking tray - they should all fit on one tray.
- Cover and place the tray in the fridge for at least an hour. This is a really important step. If you don't chill your dough your cookies will spread to much in the oven. Chilling allows you to have that crispy edge and chewy interior!
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 180 C (fan)
- Once the cookie balls have chilled, separate them out on baking trays, or bake in batches, around 4 or 5 cookies on a tray at a time.
- Bake for around 12 minutes, until a lovely golden colour. Remove and let them cool for a few minutes before leaving to cool on a wire rack.