Peanut Butter and Chocolate Whoopie Pies
Makes around 12 pies
- 110g unsalted butter, softened
- 130g soft brown sugar
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 250g plain flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- 130ml whole milk
Peanut Butter Filling:
- 60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 120g smooth peanut butter
- 150g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 80g raspberry or strawberry jam
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and two sugars with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Sift in the plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cocoa powder.
- Add half the milk and gently fold with a spatula, before adding the rest of the milk. You will end up with a thick batter.
- Cover the batter with cling film and place in the fridge for around half an hour. This will help firm up the mixture slightly so you can get nice spoonfuls and hopefully even cakes!
- Preheat oven to 160C (fan).
- Prepare a baking tray with baking paper and scoop around a tablespoon of mixture to form each cake. Dollop the batter on the tray and using the back of a spoon or clean fingers (it helps if they are slightly wet) try to get the dollops as circular as possible so you end up with round even cakes to sandwich together.
- Bake for approximately 8-10 minutes. Leave them to cool for a few minutes and then transfer the cakes onto a wire rack to cool fully.
- While they are cooling, you can make the filling.
- Mix together the icing sugar, salt, vanilla, butter and peanut butter until smooth and creamy. If it is a little runny (it depends what brand of type of peanut butter you are using), add more icing sugar, or a dash of milk if it is too stiff!
- Transfer to a piping bag and then pipe a circle of filling onto the side of one cake, to be sandwiched with another! I added a small spoonful of raspberry jam into the middle of mine as I love the flavour combination.
- Continue to fill until all of the cakes are sandwiched and then enjoy!