Orange, Almond and Cardamom Cake (Gluten Free) with Orange Cream Cheese Icing
For the cake:
- 200g unsalted butter
- 120g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 270g ground almonds
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 40g honey
- 2 tsp cardamom
- Zest of 2 oranges
- Juice of half an orange
For the Icing:
- 50g unsalted butter (room temp)
- 50g full fat cream cheese
- 200g icing sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- Toasted Almonds/Nuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C
- Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing in between each addition.
- Add the ground almonds, orange zest and juice, honey, baking powder and cardamom and give it a good mix!
- Pour into a greased 8 inch tin, and bake for 40 minutes (if necessary cover with tin foil half way through to prevent over browning)
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tin and leaving to cool fully!
- For the icing, beat the butter and cream cheese together then add in the icing sugar slowly so it doesn't go everywhere!
- Grate in the orange zest and mix in, then use a spoon or piping bag and nozzle to decorate the cake.
- I added a small amount of pink food colouring and then decorated the cake with toasted almonds and pistachios and some leftover raspberries, but decorate however you fancy! A small addition of flavour from the fruit on top can really lift the cake -something like passionfruit would also be great on this!
Let me know if you give this recipe a go by tagging me on Instagram @alice.fevronia, I always love seeing when people try my recipes! Head to my Instagram story highlights to see the video on how I made this!