Neapolitan Swirl Cookies
3 different flavours of dough, swirled together to create a perfectly buttery and delicious biscuit!
(If you don't have any raspberry essence, just make a vanilla and chocolate swirl!)
Makes about 18 cookies
- 200g unsalted butter
- 125g icing sugar
- 1 large egg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 350g plain flour
- 20g dark chocolate (melted)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp raspberry essence
- Pink food colouring
- Cream together the butter and icing sugar
- Add the egg and mix thoroughly
- Sift in the flour, cornflour and a pinch of salt
- Mix thoroughly, and bring together into a dough.
- Weigh the dough, and divide evenly into 3 portions.
- Add the vanilla essence to one portion, and knead it in.
- To the second portion, add the raspberry essence and pink food colouring, kneading until it is an even pink colour.
- To the third portion, add the melted chocolate and cocoa powder. This is a little messy, but keep going - it will come together! (Use a little flour on the work surface if the dough becomes too sticky!)
- For each flavour, pinch off the dough into grape sixed portions (around 7g) and roll them into balls.
- To form the swirled biscuits, take 2 balls of each colour, and alternating the colours, form them into a flower shape. Carefully use your fingers to pinch the different colours together to close the gap in the middle, and very carefully in your hands, form the dough into a stocky cylinder.
- Place the dough on the counter, and using your hand in a cupped shape, move it around in a circular motion on your counter. This motion swirls the colours together into a spiral pattern on the bottom of the cookie, so keep turning the cookie over to see when it has been swirled enough! If the dough segments start to separate from each other, carefully pinch the top together, which makes it easier to roll.
- This can be quite tricky to master, and works best if the balls of dough are exactly the same size, but once you've got the hang on it, you'll be away! (head to my Instagram stories for a video!)
- Repeat until you have no dough left and place the cookies swirl side up onto a lined baking tray.
- Place the tray in the fridge for around 15 minutes, meanwhile preheat the oven to 160 C (fan).
- Bake the cookies for around 12-15 minutes, until baked!