Perfect for the 4pm pick me up! Chocolate and coffee flapjacks coated in a layer of milk chocolate
- 125g unsalted butter
- 80g soft brown sugar
- 6 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder
- 200g rolled oats
- 100g dark chocolate chips
- 150g milk chocolate (for the topping)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C (fan).
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter, brown sugar and golden syrup until fully melted.
- Take it off the heat and add the cocoa powder and coffee - (if your instant coffee is in granules rather than a powder, try to grind it down so that it's easier to dissolve).
- Add the rolled oats and stir until fully combined and coated.
- Leave to cool slightly before adding the chocolate chips (just enough so they don't melt) and stir again.
- Pour the mixture into a lined square brownie tin (8 inch) and smooth it flat in the tin, right up to the edges.
- Bake for 20 minutes (keep an eye on it - the chocolate makes it hard to see if it's browning too much so be careful!)
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool (the flapjacks will solidify as they cool).
- Melt the milk chocolate and pour and smooth over the cooled flapjacks. Allow the chocolate to set (place in the fridge if you want to speed this up!)
- Carefully cut the flapjacks into squares and enjoy!
Head to my Instagram highlights @alice.fevronia for a video on how to make these - if you give them a go please tag me, I'd love to see!