Mocha and Hazelnut Crinkle Cookie Sandwiches
Whoever invented cookie sandwiches deserves a medal - 2 cookies for the price of 1! These soft and chewy chocolate crinkle cookies sandwich a delicious coffee and hazelnut mascarpone filling and each bite is just heavenly!
Makes approx, 10 sandwich cookies
- 120g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 55ml vegetable oil
- 100g caster sugar
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence or extract
- 2 large eggs
- 25g icing sugar
Coffee and Hazelnut Mascarpone Filling:
- 100g mascarpone cheese
- 55g unsalted butter (softened)
- 250g icing sugar
- 1/2 tbsp instant coffee
- 30g chopped, toasted hazelnuts
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt, ensuring there are no lumps. Seive if necessary!
- In a seperate bowl, mix together the vegetable oil, caster sugar and brown sugar, and then add the eggs one at a time, along with the vanilla essence.
- Once smooth, add the dry ingredients to the wet in two parts, and ensure everything is well combined.
- Leave the mixture to chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Once chilled, the dough should be cold enough to roll into balls, but it will still be a little bit sticky!
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 C (fan)
- Put the icing sugar into a shallow bowl.
- Roll the mixture into 20g balls, and after each ball has been rolled, then roll it in the bowl of icing sugar until fully covered, and place on a lined baking tray.
- Repeat until all of the mixture has been used up. Ensure there is enough room between each ball for the dough to spread in the oven. You may need more than one tray.
- Press each ball down lightly in the centre with your finger tips to form a disc. The cookies will dome in the oven.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, and then leave to cool fully.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Toast the hazelnuts for a few minutes in the oven and then in a food processor, blitz to fine pieces.
- Beat together the butter and mascarpone until smooth, and then mix in with the icing sugar.
- Add the coffee and hazelnuts, and mix again.
- Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a nozzle, and pipe the filling onto the bottom of half of the cookies, and then sandwich with the other half of the cookies!
For the full video on how to make these, head to my Instagram @alice.fevronia, and if you give them a go, please tag me, I'd love to see!