The perfect summer dessert to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee (or just any time!) Layers of fruity jelly, soft vanilla sponge, lemon custard and topped with cream and lots of berries!
- · 1 x 135g pack ofraspberry or strawberry jelly
- · 100g choppedstrawberries
- · 75g blueberries
- · 300ml whole milk
- · 150ml double cream
- · 1 tsp vanillaessence
- · 6 large egg yolks
- · 55g caster sugar
- · 40g cornflour
- · 2 tbsp lemon juice
- · 125g caster sugar
- · 4 large eggs
- · 125g plain flour
- · 25g melted butter
- · 50g raspberry jam
- · 450ml double cream,whipped to soft peaks
- · Handful of halved strawberries
- · Raspberries andblueberries to top
1. Starting with thejelly, follow the instructions on the packet to dissolve the cubes in boilingwater, leaving to cool. Pour into the bottom of your trifle dish, along withthe berries, and leave to set in the fridge.
2. For the custard,start by whisking the egg yolks and sugar on high until pale and thick. Thenwhisk in the cornflour.
3. Meanwhile, in asaucepan, bring the milk, double cream and vanilla to the boil, and thenslowly, while whisking, pour the hot liquid into the sugar and egg mix.
4. Return the mixtureback to the saucepan over a low heat, add the lemon juice and stir continuouslyuntil the custard has thickened enough that you can see the bottom of the panwhile stirring.
5. Pour into a bowl,cover with cling film and leave to cool until needed.
6. For the sponge,pre-heat the oven to 170 C (fan)
7. Whisk the eggs andsugar on high until very pale and thick, and keep going until it is thickenough that it leaves a trail in the bowl when it falls off the whisk.
8. In two parts, siftin the flour and carefully fold it into the mixture without beating out theair.
9. When there are nolumps of flour left, add the melted butter and fold in thoroughly.
10. Pour the mixtureinto a greased and lined 7 inch tin.
11. Bake for 15-20minutes until risen and lightly golden. Leave to cool for a few minutes in thetin, then turn out onto another sheet of baking paper and peel off the bakingpaper.
12. To assemble, place the halved strawberries around the trifle bowl on topof the jelly, pressing them to the side of the bowl.
13. Spread the jam onto one side of the sponge and place on top of thejelly.
14. Pour the custard on top of the sponge carefully so that you can stillsee the strawberries around the outside.
15. Whip the cream to soft peaks, and spread or pipe on top of the custard.
16. Arrange the raspberries and blueberries on top in the style of the UnionJack.
17. Serve and enjoy!