Honey and Lemon Madeleines
Makes 10-12 Madeleines
- 80g unsalted butter
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 large eggs
- 50g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp runny honey
- 100g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and remove from the heat.
- At the lemon zest and stir, then leave to cool.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar until pale, light and fluffy, this can take a few minutes.
- Add the honey and whisk again until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt, and the carefully sift and fold into the egg and sugar mixture. Be careful to not beat all the air out, but also you don't want any flour lumps!
- Finally, pour in the lemon butter and fold that in too, ensuring it is all combined and you have a silky smooth batter.
- Cover the bowl and leave to chill for at least an hour! In this time it will go thick and spongey!
- Once your batter is ready, pre-heat your oven to 200 C (fan).
- Grease a Madeleine tin and dust with flour, tipping out any excess.
- It is easier but necessary to use a piping bag, to fill the each well 3/4 full.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes (keep a close eye on them - they can go from not quite done to over-done very quickly!)
- Once baked and a lovely golden brown, remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from the tin and leaving to cool fully.
- Decoration is optional! I went for a simple dip of lemon icing, but equally a dusting of icing sugar will do!
Follow me on Instagram @alice.fevronia for more recipes, and you'll find a video on how to make these in my Story Highlights. If you give them a go please tag me as I'd love to see!