Grape, Orange and Olive Oil Cake
- 200g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 160g caster sugar
- 100ml whole milk
- 80ml olive oil
- 55g unsalted butter, melted
- Zest of 1 orange
- Approx. 300g seedless red grapes
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C (fan)
- Grease and line a springform or loose bottomed 8 inch cake tin with baking paper.
- Slice each grape in half lengthways, and arrange the grapes (skin side up) in concentric circles on the bottom of the tin, saving any leftover grapes for the batter to add later on.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together with an electric whisk for a few minutes until pale and slightly thickened.
- Add in the milk, olive oil and melted butter and whisk again.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, adding in the orange zest, and mix, stopping as soon as it is fully combined.
- Add in the remaining grapes and fold them into the mixture with a spatula.
- Carefully pour the batter into the tin over the grapes you have lined it with and bake for around 45 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then remove from the tin, flip the cake and peel away the baking paper to reveal the pattern!
Head to my Instagram Highlights @alice.fevronia for a video on how to make this cake and tag me if you give it a go, I'd love to see!