Festive Sausage Roll Wreath
- 250g unsalted, frozen butter
- 400g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar (optional)
- About 260ml very cold water
- 1 egg, beaten (for the egg wash)
- 300g sausage meat (or vegetarian sausage meat - Plant Pioneers works very well!)
- 60g breadcrumbs
- 70g dried apricots, diced
- 100g cooked and peeled chestnuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (chopped)
- Zest of 1/4 an orange
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Cranberry sauce to serve
- For the pastry -freeze the butter for around an hour, it needs to be very solid.
- Mix the flour andsalt in a bowl and grate the frozen butter. It helps if you dip the butter in
the flour so that it doesn't all lump together. Try to avoid touching it for
too long and letting it melt in your hands - use the foil of the butter to
- Once all the butteris grated, use a palette knife to toss the butter in the flour until it is all
- Add the vinegar(which gives a more tender, flaky pastry).
- Pour the very coldwater very slowly into the flour and butter. Pour just a few tablespoons at a
time and mix with the knife, and keep adding until it just comes together. The
amount really depends on the absorption of the flour, so keep a careful eye on this!
It should leave the bowl clean, but you don't want a sticky dough!
- Once it comestogether, wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make thefilling. Remove the sausage (or veggie sausage) meat from the skins, and add
- Add the choppeddried apricots, chestnuts, thyme, orange zest, nutmeg and salt and then get
stuck in with your hands and mix it all together.
- Form a log with themixture, around 45cm long.
- Preheat the oven to190 C (fan)
- Once the pastry haschilled and rested, roll it out onto a floured surface. You will see the
streaks of butter, but if the pastry is not smooth (the frozen butter has
clumped together), roll and fold a few times until you no longer see any large
- Roll it out toaround 30x45cm and spoon the cranberry sauce in the middle, before placing the
filling on top.
- Fold the pastryover the top of the filling and then continue rolling, sealing the edge with a
little egg wash.
- Starting in themiddle, make 10-12 cuts that go 4/5 of the way through the roll and carefuly
arrange the roll so that it forms a circle. Twist each section over slightly in
the same direction to create the wreath pattern.
- Brush with eggwash, then bake for 30 minutes until a lovely golden brown.
- Serve withcranberry sauce, and enjoy!