Chocolate and Salted Caramel Cake
Delicious chocolate sponges sandwiched with salted caramel and salted caramel buttercream.
- 450g unsalted butter, softened
- 450g caster sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 375g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 100g cocoa powder
- 150m lwhole milk
- 200g caster sugar
- 80g butter
- 110ml double cream
- 1tsp salt
- 450gunsalted butter
- 900g icingsugar
- 250gsalted caramel
- 3 tbspmilk
- 100g dark chocolate
- 20g unsalted butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C (fan).
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until pale.
- Add the eggs one at a time, then sift in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder.
- Add the milk, then mix together until just incorporated.
- Divide the mixture between 3 greased and lined, 6 inch cake tins.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until a knife comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tins, then leave to cool fully on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile make the salted caramel. Melt thesugar in a saucepan over a low-medium heat until full dissolved and a golden colour. Add the butter and stir until melted, then remove from the heat and stir in the cream. Leave to cool fully before using.
- For the buttercream, cream the butter and icing sugar and add the cooled salted
caramel. If necessary add the milk to bring it to piping consistency.
- Level off the cakes with a sharp knife, and then stack the sponges with a layer of
buttercream and the leftover salted caramel in between each layer.
- Crumb coat the cake with the buttercream and leave in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Cover the cake in a thick layer of buttercream and scrape until smooth.
- For the drip, melt the chocolate and butter together until fully melted and then drip
around the top of the cake.
- With the leftover buttercream, pipe around the top of the cake, and place the chocolates
- Add sprinkles or anything else you wish for decoration.
- Serve with Nc’Nean Single Malt Scotch Whisky, and enjoy!
This recipe was created as part of a partnership with Nc'Nean Whisky. Head to my Instagram reel @alice.fevronia to watch how I made it! Let me know if you give it a go!